Rain is forecasted all the way up to about 8,500 feet today. Natural wet avalanches will be likely in steep terrain at all elevations. This is due to the rain saturating the snow pack, which in turn, will stress the snow pack and cause weak layers to fail. These slides do have the potential to step down deeper in the snow pack, making for a large unmanageable slide. Human triggered avalanches are going to be very likely in terrain steeper than 30 degrees. Local weather stations are all reporting temperatures above freezing this morning, and forecasts are calling 1-2.5 inches of rain.
Cornices are getting big on many of our northern ridgelines...with the warm temperatures and rain that is forecasted, there is a chance that cornices could weaken and fail. The natural failure of these cornices could cause an avalanche below. Give cornices more distance as the temperatures warm and gravity pulls down on theese giants. They may be very senisitive over the next couple days, and we may see them fail naturally.
Southwesrt winds have created some stout wind slabs over the last week, and are continuing to form new wind slabs in upper elevation terrain today. Wind slabs may be sensitive and or fail with rain up to 8,500 feet. The Granite weatherstation reported gusts up to 29MPH out of the southwest this morning.
Snowmobiler/Snowbiker Travel Restrictions: a quick reminder that the Granite Mountain Area Closure is now in effect, please respect Snowcats operating in this and nearby areas. In addition there are other areas on the Payette National Forest that are CLOSED to snowmobile traffic including Jughandle Mt east of Jug Meadows, Lick Creek/Lake Fork Drainage (on the right side of the road as you are traveling up canyon), and the area north of Brundage Mt Ski area to junction "V" and along the east side of Brundage and Sergeants' Mts. with the exception of the Lookout Rd( junction "S"). Please respect these closures and other users recreating in them. Winter Travel Map(East side). You can download the map to the AVENZA app on your phone, and know your exact location while you are out riding.
The Friends of the Payette Avalanche Center (FPAC) needs YOU! We are in desperate need of more user support and financial assistance. The avalanche forecast is not a guaranteed service, and is in jeopardy of dwindling down to only a couple of days a week in the near future. Please help if you can by clicking the DONATE tab above. If you value this life saving information, make a donation or help the FPAC in raising funds for the future.
Yesterday, we toured out near Twin Lakes, Duck Lake, and to Fisher Creek saddle. Overall we didnt see many signs of instability, or recent avalanche activity. However, visibilty was almost non-existent above 7,600 feet. We did observe signs of one crown (about 2 feet deep) of a natural avalanche (NE aspect 7200ft, just above Corral Lake, North of the association cabin) that happened late in the storm, and had almost been covered up by the latest few inches of snow. The snowpack had set up quite a bit from Monday. Boot penetration was almost chest deep on Monday, whereas today we were able to walk around mostly in boot deep powder. We found that the snow pack had gained strength in our pits and in our sled cuts since Monday as well. The wind has definitely had a hand in the qulity of the snow. In sheltered, lower elevations, the snow is much deeper. Where as, in wind exposed terrain, we were seeing 2-3 foot dense slabs with 2-4 inch shallow fresh slabs on top. These fresh wind slabs were a little more reactive to the weight of a person, and were popping moderately in compression tests.
If you see or trigger an avalanche please let us know as soon as possible. When it comes to staying safe in the mountains, we are all in this together. Email us at: email@example.com Just sending us a picture and description of the location (aspect, elevation, slope angle), helps us a ton!
|0600 temperature:||32 deg. F.|
|Max. temperature in the last 24 hours:||32 deg. F.|
|Average wind direction during the last 24 hours:||sw|
|Average wind speed during the last 24 hours:||8 mph|
|Maximum wind gust in the last 24 hours:||28 mph|
|New snowfall in the last 24 hours:||0 inches|
|Total snow depth:||NA inches|
Rain is dominating the West Central Mountains today we will see a high near 41 in McCall. South southeast wind 13 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. In the upper elevations near 7600 feet, we will see Rain before 11am, then rain and snow. High near 36. Windy, with a south wind 34 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
1-2.5 inches of rain is forecasted to fall by Friday all the way up to 8,500 feet before a cold front sets in on Friday night bringing drier and colder weather along with sunshine Saturday.
This avalanche advisory is provided through a partnership between the Payette National Forest and the Payette Avalanche Center. This advisory covers the West Central Mountains between Hard Butte on the north and Council Mountain on the south. This advisory applies only to backcountry areas outside established ski area boundaries. This advisory describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur. This advisory expires at midnight on the posted day unless otherwise noted. The information in this advisory is provided by the USDA Forest Service who is solely responsible for its content.