THIS AVALANCHE ADVISORY EXPIRED ON March 7, 2016 @ 7:32 am
Avalanche Advisory published on March 6, 2016 @ 7:32 am
Issued by Dave Bingaman - Payette Avalanche Center
bottom line

The Avalanche Danger is Considerable on all aspects today.  High hazard areas exist on slopes over 35 degrees, especially upper elevation aspects that had areas of unconsolidated snow,  lingering windslabs, buried crusts or heavily corniced ridgelines.  Travel in these areas is not recommended today. The potential exists for large wet avalanches in steep, lower elevation canyons such as the Payette or South Fork Salmon Canyons with larger slopes extending into the middle or higher elevations above them.

How to read the advisory


  • Dangerous avalanche conditions. Careful snowpack evaluation, cautious route-finding and conservative decision-making essential.
Avalanche Problem 1: Wet Slab
  • Character ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

 The rainline rose yesterday afternoon and through the night last night to nearly 8000 feet.  Some of the areas that are getting rain right now have probably not had rain yet this year.  Areas on northerly exposures that had large overhanging cornices will likely be experiencing widespread cornice failures today. Other aspects that had older weak layers including crusts or grauple layers in the upper snowpack will likely be saturated enough to fail naturally or will already have failed last night. Travel in or under steep slopes is not recommended today, the possibility of large wet avalanches traveling long distances will also be a concern in steep canyons that have large slopes above them such as the South Fork Salmon Drainage and its tributaries.

Avalanche Problem 2: Loose Wet
  • Character ?
  • Aspect/Elevation ?
  • Likelihood ?
    Certain
    Very Likely
    Likely
    Possible
    Unlikely
  • Size ?
    Historic
    Very Large
    Large
    Small

Expect to see widespread roller ball, point release and loose/wet slides today on all steep aspects. Road cuts, steep drainages and gully features are going to be places to avoid as these are terrain traps where loose/wet slide debris will be able to pile up deep. Pay attention to your surroundings and avoid traveling on or below steep slopes with wet, unconsolidated snow.  This hazard will decline rapidly as an approaching cold front refreezes the upper snowpack over the next 24 hours.

recent observations

Temperatures at local snotel site between 6200 and 6700 feet this morning are showing mid 30's with between .5 and .9 inches of Snow Water Equivalent over the last 24 hours...all of which came down as liquid. Snow levels yesterday topped 7500 feet and were expected to be near 8000 feet this morning.  As of 6 am it was snowing at the top of Tamarack Resort( 7700 feet). The good news is a cold front will cool things down today.

weather

It is currently in the mid 30's  near 7000 feet this morning. Rain is expected to 8000 feet this morning with a cold front moving in to the West Central Mountains later in the day bringing the snowline back down to 4000-5000 feet.  Model forecasts are calling for .5-.7 inches of precip in the next 24 hours. Snow totals in the upper elevations look to be getting close to 10 inches by Monday night once the cold front arrives.  Winds today are going to be gusting into 40+ range with pre frontal winds out of the south at 26-31 decreasing later in the day to 17-22 mph. A significant cool down will take place later today and tonight with lows expected in the mountains and the valleys around 23. A progressive storm pattern will persist through much of the coming week bringing additional snow accumulations in the mountains.

 

Two-Day Mountain Weather Forecast Produced in partnership with the NOAA-NWS
McCall Airport at 5021 feet.
  Sunday Sunday Night Monday
Weather: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 41. Southeast wind 8 to 16 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Light and variable wind. Snow showers, mainly after 11am. High near 39. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Temperatures: 41 deg. F. 23 deg. F. 39 deg. F.
Wind direction: SE Variable S
Wind speed: 8-16 Light 6
Expected snowfall: 0 in. Trace in. Trace in.
Granite Mountain at 7700 feet.
  Sunday Sunday Night Monday
Weather: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Temperature falling to around 31 by 5pm. Windy, with a south wind 26 to 31 mph decreasing to 17 to 22 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible. A 30 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 6 to 11 mph after midnight. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible. Snow showers likely, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. South southwest wind 11 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
Temperatures: 39 falling to 31 later today deg. F. 23 deg. F. 34 deg. F.
Wind direction: S Variable S/SW
Wind speed: 26-31 falling to 17-22 with gusts to41 6-11 11-17
Expected snowfall: 5-9 in. Trace in. 1 in.
Disclaimer

This avalanche advisory is provided through a partnership between the Payette National Forest and the Payette Avalanche Center. This advisory covers the West Central Mountains between Hard Butte on the north and Council Mountain on the south. This advisory applies only to backcountry areas outside established ski area boundaries. This advisory describes general avalanche conditions and local variations always occur. This advisory expires at midnight on the posted day unless otherwise noted. The information in this advisory is provided by the USDA Forest Service who is solely responsible for its content.